Aerobatics + Spin Prevention & Recovery Courses
Aerobatics + Spinning Endorsement Training Courses
The School's Chief Flying Instructor (CFI) and co-owner, Colin Appleton, is one of Australia’s most experienced aerobatics instructors. He holds a CASA Part 61 Instructor Rating, with Flight Activity and Design Feature Training Endorsements and specialises in teaching Basic Aerobatics, Competition Aerobatics, Spin Recovery and Emergency Manoeuvre (EMT) training. To read why pilots should learn these skills CLICK HERE
We are the Sunshine Coast Training Campus for the Australian Aerobatic Club and encourage our aerobatics course graduates to play an active role in state and national competitions. Under the training syllabus developed by CFI, Colin Appleton, the Sunshine Coast Flying School has produced more State and National Aerobatics Championship pilots than any other flying school in Queensland! He is also a highly skilled and experienced Recreational Aviation Australia (RAA) Chief Flying Instructor (CFI) and Instructor Trainer (IT)
If you have any questions regarding flight training at the Sunshine Coast Flying School, MESSAGE COLIN to arrange an informal one-on-one chat with him or one of his Senior Instructors.
In summary, the Sunshine Coast Flying School offers the most comprehensive RAAus and specialist GA training courses available in Queensland, from a choice of locations along the Sunshine Coast! NOTE: These course are available to RAAus RPC holders, however, an RPL or higher is required for the issue of the AERO and SPIN license endorsements (For RAAus Pilot Certificate Training - CLICK HERE)
- Part-time Aerobatics & Spinning Endorsements Course - Competency based, average is 10-12 hours part-time if you can fly 3-4 lessons per week and 12-15 hours part-time if you can fly once a week. - Includes long briefings, reference material, fuel surcharges and all landing fees. Cost - $6,658.40 to $8,198.00 Incl GST - Book 1st lesson, then pay as you go!
- Intensive 3 to 4 Day Aerobatics & Spinning Endorsements Course - This is our most popular course and by far the best way to learn aerobatics! It's 'full-on' but achievable. Competency based, full-time, average is 8-12 hours dual training (2 to 3 x 1 hour lessons per day!). Includes long briefings, reference material, fuel surcharges and all landing fees. - Cost: $4605.60 to $6,658.40 Incl GST. - Book first lesson, then pay as you go at the end of each days flying, or pay now (10 hours) and save $200.00! We can assist with discounts on your accommodation on the Sunshine Coast. Courses run on demand - maximum 2 per course, call us
- Aerobatics & Spin Prevention / Recovery Introduction - Not sure your head and / or stomach can handle our 3-4 day intensive course? Find out with this introductory briefing and flight. This lesson will introduce you to real '3 dimensional flight' and the physical loads and disorientation you will be exposed to during our endorsement course.
- Aerobatic Competition Coaching (your aircraft or ours!) - call us!
Colin's advanced pilot skills training for spin recovery and aerobatics endorsement courses are among the best available in Australia. They will increase your pilot skills and understanding of the full flight envelope, making you a more confident and safer pilot. Try an Aerobatics Training Experience flight to see if aerobatics and advanced handling skills training is for you! Your training is conducted in the fantastic Robin R2160, a modern, fully aerobatic, military style training aircraft with side-by-side seating. For advanced aerobatics training we have the awesome Extra 300. If required, CSU, RU and TWU design feature endorsements training can be included in the above courses.
Note: Course flying hours and costs above are estimates. All training is competency based so course prices quoted are estimates based on average learning rates. Additional (or less) training may be required to achieve the required competency for the issue of a license endorsement.
Pilots - ask yourself the following:
- Are you a pilot that gets nervous easily or suffers motion sickness in turbulent conditions?
- Are you confident you could recover safely from a sudden and violent turbulence induced unusual attitude?
- Are you confident you could avoid loss of control and recognise / prevent a spin / spiral after losing VMC in deteriorating weather conditions?
- Are you confident you could quickly recognise and initiate the correct recovery from a spin or spiral dive with the current level of training you have received?
- Do you secretly lack confidence in your piloting abilities, feeling your training was not adequate and you should be a more capable and confident pilot, but you have your license so say / do nothing about it?
Sadly in most civilian flying schools these topics are not part of the basic pilot training syllabus. Consequently capable training aircraft are not available and student pilots (like their instructors before them) are only taught to fly confidently in two dimensions while we all fly in three dimensional airspace. The focus of training at most flying schools is to teach pilots to “fear and avoid” unusual attitudes, slow speed maneuvering, stalls and spins / spirals. Does this sound like the pilot training experience YOU have received?
Then do something about it! TALK TO COLIN NOW! One day this training may save your life! Call him on 0414 430647 or Click Here to email him.
- Current COVID safety protocols. If you have any COVID symptoms please call us to reschedule your flight. For the latest information please go to: COVID - Latest Update
* Our Aircraft and Flight Training at Caloundra Airfield operate from our partner's facilities - GoFly Aviation